History and Description of the Building

The Museum of the Works of Guido Calori is housed in the interior of the third cloister of the former Convent of the Clares of San Gemini, on the highest point of the town in the Rione Rocca. The whole complex, including extensive buildings with two more cloisters and the small church dedicated to St Catherine, winds itself between the medieval alley of the Tribunal and the town walls, still standing in the section which surrounds the elegant garden attached to the building.

Documented in a pastoral visit of the Diocese by the Bishop Pietro de Lunel in 1571, the Convent was used as a major hospital for the cure of pilgrims on their route to Rome, due to its proximity to the Via Flaminia.

From the Brogliardo Urbano of the Gregorian land register of 1834, the 19th century map of the whole complex can be drawn, and in the same document it is all included in the seat of the Bishop of Narni. Handed over to private ownership in the 1940s, the whole of the ground floor became the exhibition site at the beginning of the 1980s.
The Museum exhibits the major part of the sculptures and paintings by Guido Calori, previously housed in his studio in Via Pinciana in Rome, which he shared for some years with the painter Amerigo Bartoli Natiguerra. After Calori’s death, the Rome City Council reclaimed the site. The heirs, who had offered the city the whole contents as a gift, were obliged to vacate the studio in a hurry.

Thanks to the efforts of the family (daughter, son-in-law, grand-children), it has been possible to acquire and restore the present site, devoting six rooms on the ground floor to the exhibition of the artist’s work, including drawings, the archive and the tools of his art, which had remained scattered in the various store rooms in Florence used by the artist during the long period he was teaching at the Florentine Academy.

The ensemble of Guido Calori’s work and the building housing it has been declared of outstanding historical and artistic merit. Since 1990, they have been listed under the jurisdiction of the Sovrintendenza ai Beni Artistici.  In 1992, the archive was also listed for its undoubted historic and documentary value.

The Museum was first opened to the public in 1987, once the building’s long restoration was completed. Today, after 18 years, the work of the master is made available to allow more in-depth studies. There is also a project designed to protect and improve the whole complex.


 
Sede del Museo
Terzo chiostro dell’ex convento
delle Clarisse di San Gemini